Summer is getting pretty hot here in Colorado and every day it seems like there’s a new wildfire! Fortunately, in Colorado Springs we’ve been spared thus far, but our thanks go out to all the firefighters in Colorado and New Mexico fighting the blazes; and our thoughts go out to the families that have been directly affected. Locally, the worst we’ve really had to deal with is poor air quality, especially during the afternoons when the winds generally pick up. As a result, more coaches and athletes have been getting up early and riding before work. Starting the day with a workout is great, but it can also lead to mid-morning hunger pangs!
Here’s a scenario a lot of you might be familiar with: you get up early and train for 60-90 minutes, but once your workout is over there isn’t much time to shower, eat, and get to work on time. So instead of the substantial breakfast you might have eaten on a morning that didn’t include a workout, or instead of the substantial recovery-oriented meal you might normally eat after a training session, you grab what amounts to a snack a head off to work.
And at about 9:30 or 10:00am, you’re ready to eat your desk.
I have a solution for you. Have a bottle of GU Recovery Brew (250 calories, 52 grams of carbohydrate, 8 grams of protein, 0 fat) in the fridge waiting for you when you get back from your workout, and down that while you’re taking a shower. Once you get dressed, prepare this Apricot-Toasted Almond Yogurt recipe, which was originally published in “Chris Carmichael’s Fitness Cookbook”. It has about 194 calories per serving, 25 grams of carbohydrate, 10 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fat. Best of all, the instructions for preparing it are simple: put everything in a blender. Between these two items you’ll consume nearly 450 calories, including 18 grams of protein and 6 grams of fat. The 77 total grams of carbohydrate will help with energy and replenishment, and the protein and fat will also help you feel full and satisfied longer. If you don’t eat dairy, consider swapping the dairy yogurt for a non-dairy soy or cultured almond milk alternative.
- Triathlon Training: Stop Coasting to Shave Minutes Off Your Bike Split http://trainright.com/triathlon-training-stop-coasting-to-shave-minutes-off-your-bike-split/
- Race Like Reba Contest from GU Energy Labs https://guenergy.com/race-like-reba: Check out this great contest from our sports nutrition partner GU Energy Labs, featuring CTS Athlete Ambassador Rebecca Rusch!
- Video Interview with CTS Athlete Ryan Trebon: http://youtu.be/tFf6_Isj2qI
- MyTimeline Flex Coaching: http://trainright.com/mytimeline/ Packages with reduced-fee flex time!
- Motorola MOTOACTV: http://motoactv.com The Official Fitness Tracking Device of Carmichael Training Systems!
Have a great weekend!
Carmichael Training Systems