Jeff Mahin is Chef/Partner of Stella Barra Pizzeria, Summer House Santa Monica, M Street Kitchen and Do-Rite Donuts. He is also a strong and avid cyclist and ambassador for Chef’s Cycle, a fundraising endurance event featuring award-winning chefs fighting childhood hunger outside the kitchen. Jeff and over 100 other chefs from around the country have raised over 1 million dollars to battle childhood hunger in the U.S. Learn more about Jeff Mahin.
Outside the kitchen, Jeff works with CTS Coach Adam Pulford to make sure he’s ready for his athletic adventures. We are proud to call him a CTS Athlete, and he has generously decided to help all CTS Athletes eat better by providing us with great recipes.
This Kale Kimchi Avocado Toast with Egg is a great meal for when you come in after a good ride, run, or workout. Not only does it have some carbohydrate (toast) to replenish muscle glycogen and some protein (eggs) to support muscle repair and growth, but it also has some heart-healthy fat from avocado and fiber and vitamins from kale. Perhaps best of all, the fat, protein, and fiber make this a tasty and satisfying meal that doesn’t feel heavy or leave you sluggish and sleepy.
Kale Kimchi Avocado Toast with Eggs
1 clove Garlic
6 cups Kale
2-4 ounces Kimchi (Looks like about half a cup. Chef Mahin used Mother In Law’s brand in the video.)
Red Pepper Flakes
Your Favorite Bread
- Add drizzle of olive oil to pan.
- Peel and chop garlic, add to heated pan on stove
- Peel and chop onion, add to pan, and stir
- While onion and garlic are cooking, peel and pit avocado
- In a bowl, mash avocado and combine with sea salt, lemon, and pepper flakes
- Chop kimchi and add to pan, stir some more
- Add chopped kale to pan and cover
- Prepare toast
- Add salt to pan, stir, and cook until kale is wilted
- Prepare eggs to personal preference
- Spread mashed avocado on toast
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil
- Layer with kale kimchi mixture
- Place eggs over top
- DIG IN!